Tourist visa prices at borders increased from $25 to $ 85!!!

Endless beaches, unspoilt adventure, culture & wildlife a 'must do' 4x4 destination.
kingshaka

Tourist visa prices at borders increased from $25 to $ 85!!!

Post by kingshaka » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Today I heard that Mozambique's Visa has gone up... So I have asked Mike Slater (www.mozguide.com) if the rumours are true.

Here's his respons:
I heard the rumours but unfortunately I can confirm that, at borders and airports, $85 is the new price for a 30 day single entry tourist visa (Visto fronteira), the only type of visa issued on arrival (other types from consulates). This came into effect, unannounced on July 06. The previous price at borders and airports was US$25.

Senhor Makwakwa of the Consular section of the Mozambican Embassy in Pretoria 012 401 0300 confirmed this and apologised for any inconvenience to visitors to Mozambique. This follows on the drastic increase (in 2006) of visa prices when issued at Moz consulates in South Africa and around the World. The rationale then was that, whatever your country charges a Mozambican for a visa, Mozambique would charge a reciprocal rate. For some passport holders (UK for example), the charge for a visa at a Moz consulate in South Africa since 2006 has been R750 (or about $100), so for many travellers $85 may still be cheaper.

Wish I knew who advises governments regarding such decisions. All the research shows that a far bigger percentage of what so-called 'budget' travellers spend actually stays in the country, and more jobs are created than by the high-end jet-setters who won't notice the increase.

Mike
So better get your visa prior to your trip to Moz at the Embassy in your home country!
come-along.nl

Re: Tourist visa prices at borders increased from $25 to $ 8

Post by come-along.nl » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:40 pm

If heard news that visa prices have been raised from 30 US$ to 95 US$!!
Can anyone confirm?

Cheers, Hans
Answer from Mike:

Hi Hans

Yes, at most borders the vis charge is now $82. It seems that some borders (the less busy ones) the increase was not in operation for a while, but perhaps these now charge the new price too.

Mike
https://www.selfdrive4x4.com/en/
www.come-along-safari.com
Discover unspoiled Africa by 4x4, individual freedom and a true African adventure!
come-along.nl

Re: Tourist visa prices at borders increased from $25 to $ 8

Post by come-along.nl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:29 am

I crossed the Giriyondo Border this August to go into Mozambique and paid 77 USD for a Visa! I could also pay €77 but decided to use USD ;)

Cheers, Hans
https://www.selfdrive4x4.com/en/
www.come-along-safari.com
Discover unspoiled Africa by 4x4, individual freedom and a true African adventure!