Leopard at Khwai Campsite (Moremi - Botswana) - Warning!

'Wildlife Paradise' Travel, 4x4, National Parks and more.
kingshaka

Leopard at Khwai Campsite (Moremi - Botswana) - Warning!

Post by kingshaka » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:29 am

Just had the following from clients who have just been to Khwai. SKL Camps are aware of this (being linked to the previous incident with the South African child) but the Department of Wildlife Problem Animal Control Unit are dragging their feet.

Take extra caution if you are in Khwai, especially with children.
One thing we wanted to let you know about, so that you could pass it on to the relevant authorities, is that when we stayed in Khwai campsite, we had a very close encounter with a leopard. We think the animal has got habituated to people and could be dangerous to others, particularly those with children.

Just after dusk, I was returning with the kids from the toilet block, when our 10 year old son (who was lagging a few steps behind the group) turned around and locked eyes with a leopard stalking him, just a few metres away. Fortunately, the leopard backed off, so we sent our youngest two kids into a tent whilst we started rearranging our sleeping arrangements to put an adult in each tent. I then spotted the leopard crouching under the landrover, only a few steps away from us. It again backed off when I shouted, but it stayed in the vicinity for the next half an hour, until I spotted it a few metres away creeping up on him. I frightened it away, wielding a spade, and we beat a hasty retreat to our tents for the night.

We are pretty seasoned safari people, and we have never seen a predator so fearless around people. We believe that our son was lucky to have turned around and spotted it when he did.
source: Andy - Drivebotswana
Tongasabi

Re: Leopard at Khwai Campsite (Moremi - Botswana) - Warning!

Post by Tongasabi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:54 am

It used to be hyenas, baboons & monkeys (only)... sometime a lone lioness at close range but a leopard this close it pretty scary!
www.tongasabi.nl (safari reizen door Zuidelijk Afrika)
www.botswanareizen.nl (Botswana Reizen)