A selfdrive in botswana june 2013 - any suggestion for us?

'Wildlife Paradise' Travel, 4x4, National Parks and more.
henry

A selfdrive in botswana june 2013 - any suggestion for us?

Post by henry » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am

My wife and I are planing a trip to Botswana June 2013.

We would like to spend approx 30 days. say safari drive starting May 29th and ending June 27th 2013 prefebly from Livingstone otherwise from Windhoek.
We would like to focus on Botswana and the okawango delta, although if a short travel into Namibia is worth it, we are open to it.
Here a wishlist for the trip.
  • No long traveldays on mainroads (I've tried all day transport days and don't like it :shock: ).
  • Stay at camp sites or lodges say perhaps something like 60/40%
  • Tranquillity and time to enjoy each place/site, so staying 2-3 days at a place it great.
  • A 2-4 day boat trip on the delta would be nice too, but perhaps a selfdrive site is not the place to ask for advice for that.
  • We would like to be a "green" period so I guess just after the rain would be good, any thoughts on that??
Also, we are only two adults and I did imagine a Defender or a land-cruiser - but perhaps a hilux or the camper could do the job for us? Does anyone here have expirence with the camper, is it still a 4x4 capable drive how does it handle, is it worth considering for comfort or would we be sitting outdoor anyway?

I hope some of you guys will share your knowledge and perhaps an itinery with us so we can get startet. I have seen the "24 days 4x4 safari Botswana & Namibia" at come-along.nl itintery for the 24day but I think there too much Namibia we would like to stick around the delta more days.