Savuti & Moremi track conditions (till end of Oct. - 2012)

'Wildlife Paradise' Travel, 4x4, National Parks and more.
Juha S.

Re: Savuti & Moremi track conditions (till end of Oct. - 201

Post by Juha S. » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Thank you for info Hans!
come-along.nl

Post by come-along.nl » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Helping campers over the river in Khwai Development Trust, Botswana.

https://www.selfdrive4x4.com/en/
www.come-along-safari.com
Discover unspoiled Africa by 4x4, individual freedom and a true African adventure!
come-along.nl

Savuti & Moremi track conditions (26 Aug – 9 Sept.)

Post by come-along.nl » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Botswana - 26 Aug – 9 Sept.

Moremi - All bridges are good. Can travel dry between two camps. Bodumatau Loop is awesome with one ¾ meter deep (S19 16.919 E23 27.785) and another ½ meter deep (S19 17.581 E23 28.121) water crossing in loop. Khwai – Wood for sale. Dry route available via new detour bypassing Dombo Hippo pools. No boat rides available. Two small shops outside park with basics including beer. Awesome night sounds. Elephants passing through the camp nightly. Leopard lying in tree near KW6 the whole day. That nigh it killed an Impala in the camp just to be robbed by a Hyena which dragged carcase across the bridge.. awesome stuff. Water levels rising @ about 1 cm per day. Savuti – any costs cash only. No wood for sale. One water crossing between concrete bridge and Kwai gate (S19 08.507 E23 46.033). Turn right and keep close to the island. Water is then ¼ (left wheel) to ½ (right wheel) meter deep. Transit road good, 60Km/h. Take second turn off to Mababe gate (S19 09.638 E23 57.92. After gate, to avoid loose sand, always keep right and follow marsh road. Small shop in camp run by SKL. Channel is full and flowing strongly. Savuti marsh is full, extending for more than 15 km. Marsh cannot be circumnavigated. Eastern side only accessible via bridge @ Savuti camp. Kasane – Senyati Safari Camp. Excellent!! To avoid bad sand sections, take airport road and just after Ghoha gate, turn left towards Linyanti for 7.7 Km and then turn right on cut line.

Third Bridge:

Concrete Bridge north of Khwai Village:

Savuti Channel:

Savuti steelbridge:

source: 4x4community
Discover unspoiled Africa by 4x4, individual freedom and a true African adventure!
kingshaka

Third Bridge (Moremi) repairs complete?

Post by kingshaka » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:28 am

Third bridge is still under repair? Picture taken days ago(?)...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Juha S.

Post by Juha S. » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Good!

Sorry for OT ,but where that high viewing point is in Savute over channel? Been in Savute twice in the past,but I have never found this place....
come-along.nl

Watercrossing some 4 km's north of Khwai Village

Post by come-along.nl » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:07 pm

This is the watercrossing some 4 km's north of Khwai Village (August 21):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
come-along.nl

Post by come-along.nl » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:32 am

October 4 Update:
Water crossing between Khwai Village and North Gate along the bypass road is about 70 cm on left hand side fo about 5 meters, easy manageable when sticking to the prescribed path. First cross the left water puddle to reach the sandbank then turn hard right close to the roots of the old tree on the island and head back to the exit over the sand bank. From North Gate to Xakanaxa there is a dry route signposted, it turns just before dumbo hippo pool turn off, no water on the way any further
Source: 4x4community
Juha S.

Post by Juha S. » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:35 pm

Water crossing north of Khwai Village.No doubt about it,it is 70cm deep.

I followed the instructions "follow me"

Make sure that you have enough of torque.Use low gears....

come-along.nl

Post by come-along.nl » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Taken form James McLaren's Tripreport:
We stopped in Kwhai village to sort out a campsite at Magotho camp, a community run campsite on the northern banks of the khwai river. Paid our camping fees and nervously headed towards the river crossing... Arrived at the river crossing and we were the only souls around (apart from a herd of elephant about 300m around the corner that we only saw once we crossed ). I had asked the locals about the best line, and everyone felt that full right was the best. To me it looked DARK.....so I started poking around with my stick and it seemed to get deeper and deeper. So, as the old Camel ad went.." light up, and sit it out.." which we did until a musadi in a open back landy came up. She does this crossing everyday I guess, so I figured I would follow her. "No problem" she said, as she started taking off her shoes and socks in the Landy !! off she went, roaring straight through the river, water over the bonnet and in the cab!!! I said no ways, Nats was instructed to get all the kit as high up the back seat as possible whilst I chatted to the musadi on the other side of the crossing. She advised a line slightly right of hers and it was agreed she would wait for us to cross in case we needed some help... Low range, 2nd gear, and off we went. the hippo path caught me by surprise, and delivered water up to the vents on the bonnet, but we made it through. Nats had her eyes closed the whole way...so we thanked the musadi, and cracked out a cold beer, cos there were vehicles coming the other way....this could be fun to watch... The folks all took the line I took, on my advice, as although there was a deep section it was very short. The hiluxes, as would be expected, made it through no worries the Nissan Navara was not so lucky. He hit the brakes when the vehicle dropped into the hippo path, and that was him....."stucked" as they say. A quick tow back out, open the doors to let the fish and lilies out the cab, and he went again, this time successfully