Savuti & Moremi track conditions (till end of July)

'Wildlife Paradise' Travel, 4x4, National Parks and more.
come-along.nl

Re: Update: Current Savuti & Moremi track conditions

Post by come-along.nl » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:46 pm

The transit from Mababe Gate to Khwai (or vice versa) is not advisable at the moment. At North Gate vehicles without snorchel are told to go via South Gate and to use the steelbridge at Mababe village for the transit to Savuti. It looks like mid August for the flood to reach it's peak...

Recent image:

http://www.namibia-forum.ch/images/fbfi ... sing_1.jpg
https://www.selfdrive4x4.com/en/
www.come-along-safari.com
Discover unspoiled Africa by 4x4, individual freedom and a true African adventure!
come-along.nl

Update: July 5

Post by come-along.nl » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:55 am

Recent Update from a local (Pilot) from Maun:

The road from Maun to South Gate is ok, but very bad corigations. I mean the worst corigated road (sinkplaat) that I have driven in my life! Watch out for animals and people walking on the road, especially after dark. On the way home last night we still encountered some tourist on their way to South Gate. In the Moremi from South gate to Third Bridge the road is fine, some water crossings, but very passable. Just stop and walk the crossing first, chose the correct line and then drive. Very nice drive! From Maun to South gate there is a lot of local people selling very good fire wood along the main road. You will see wood piles stacked along the road. They price along P 7-00 to P10-00 per bunch. Normaly very friendly folks along the road.

I'm a bush pilot here in Maun, so if I'm not flying then I will be at the airport. Give me a shout when you come close. Right guys, the flood water in the Okavango Delta at this moment has already peaked. The water is still rising in Maun and will still rise towards the end of this month and August. My guestimate is that the flood water in the Moremi will come down now and most roads will be passable. With my day trip on past Sunday the only road/bridge that I didnt want to cross was 4th Bridge. It was very possible, but I was not up to for the adventure as I had to be back at work on Monday morning. The Botswana Wildlife Department is busy reparing the bridge at this moment.

I will go for another day trip soon and have a look!

Source: 4x4community
Discover unspoiled Africa by 4x4, individual freedom and a true African adventure!
come-along.nl

Moremi Update July 14

Post by come-along.nl » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi everybody,

Just come back from the said route and did the crossings all from Maghoto to North Gate and up to 3rd bridge, then back down to South gate via Xini Lagoon. The ones between Maghoto and North gate are by far the most challenging ones and we have seen 2 drowned vehicles (Toyo Prado and a big truck). I went a bit too fast on one of the crossings and the water splashed over my roof of a lifted Nissan Patrol [now called Submarine Patrol ], but made it through with a trailer in tow.

1st Crossing Khwai to North Gate

2nd crossing Khwai - North Gate

3rd crossing closest to North Gate

Here the tricky one, originally with concrete fording but now with 30 cm step and broken slabs halfway through. Me again scouting, then 2nd vehicle following after I crossed with the trailer.
Remark: I am 6ft 4" (192 cm) just for comparison.

All crossings are doable but take the following advise:
Walk every crossing on foot and feel for the lowest water levels and the ground. Avoid slippery mud and choose the sandy bottom even if deeper. Walk across in zig-zag and feel for loose logs or blocks of concrete, broken ciment slabs etc. and avoid them. [Crossing closest to North Gate has a 30 cm step under water which could bring your vehicle to a dead stop if you hit it ] And last, drive as slow as possible [bow wave] but as fast as necessary [momentum]. Chose low range 2nd to allow acceleration if necessary - think of the mass of water you are moving when submerged. (Low range 1st is too slow for momentum).

On the way out, 3rd Bridge to South Gate, the water is still raising and you travel long stretches with 2 wheels in water, new detours are created daily but you must be ready to get some scratches on your rig's bodywork on those. I will have to download my pictures from cameras so I can add some to this tread - so watch this space. Have fun and take your time .
As said elsewhere, 3rd bridge is no issue and well known, 2nd however a choice of using the bridge or fording the river. We chose the latter as not trusting the bridge to hold, planks missing and broken..... First bridge is much the same choice, by now we did not even leave the vehicle anymore but just drove on.
2nd Bridge:

Source: 4x4 community
Last edited by come-along.nl on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
come-along.nl

4th Bridge Moremi Game Reserve...

Post by come-along.nl » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:11 pm

New bridge under construction:

ccoetzee

Post by ccoetzee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Khwai crossing close to North Gate where the new concrete bridge is being build...drive something that floats :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingshaka

Post by kingshaka » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi Cobus,

Thanks for your pic. When was this taken? Do you have more details on the current situation in Moremi?

Cheers, Shaka
kingshaka

Post by kingshaka » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:29 pm

This thread has been closed and a new one has been openend.

Cheers, Shaka