Savuti & Moremi track conditions (till end of June)

'Wildlife Paradise' Travel, 4x4, National Parks and more.
come-along.nl

Savuti & Moremi track conditions (till end of June)

Post by come-along.nl » Mon May 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Update on the situation in Moremi and onto Savuti via Mababe Gate:

From Maun towards Khwai (North Gate) no major difficulties (It took us approx. 4.5 - 5 hours). Xakanaxa is still unreachable forn a direct approach from North Gate. A detour via South Gate is the only option. We went East from Khwai and saw a lioness with 2 cubs and even a leopard was spotted.

From Khwai via Mababe Gate onto Savuti was giving us more problems. One rivercrossing (almost 1 meter deep) had to be negotiated but was now problem with the Schnorchel. 2 Km's out of Mababe Gate heading to Savuti we encountered a heavily flooded track. One's of us got stuck here. This strech will dry up soon when the rains have left.

source: Markus, namibia-forum
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by come-along.nl on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.selfdrive4x4.com/en/
www.come-along-safari.com
Discover unspoiled Africa by 4x4, individual freedom and a true African adventure!
kingshaka

Re: Savuti & Moremi track conditions (till end of June)

Post by kingshaka » Sat May 07, 2011 10:52 pm

It is like paradise with al the animals. The pictures were taken at the Khwai crossing near North Gate. The sand ridge road to Savuti is OK don’t use the marsh road. Road from Savuti to Kasane is not bad.

source:4x4community
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
come-along.nl

Post by come-along.nl » Tue May 24, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi,

Got back late last night from Botswana. Moremi, main tracks with little 'loop tracks' are doable. The tracks along the Khwai river are mostly under water... Khwai - South Gate (or vice versa) no problems. The Savuti channel is still flowing steadily and is filling up the Marsch more and more every day.
source: Walter
Discover unspoiled Africa by 4x4, individual freedom and a true African adventure!
come-along.nl

Post by come-along.nl » Wed May 25, 2011 8:42 pm

The next day we left for Third bridge camp...

To the Southgate is about 55km and took some time over gravel road. Here we were told first and second bridge was broken and you need to go first left then right around the bridges. So my real first 4x4 begun. Lucky on route we stopped and spoke to other drivers coming out and found out that the water is deep and first bridge should be crossed rather than go around as numerous vehicles were either stuck or sucked in water. On arrival at first bridge found a big water obstacle so I chanced the bridge which did not look to bad. This proved okay with only slight difficulty. On arrival at second bridge found it totally broken and no way through accept the water route. With no snorkel and no water crossing experience I was nervous. No walking the water first here as video’s I watched suggest due to crocodiles. So with a lot of faith and my limited video knowledge I plunged in. I got the bow wave going and surged through with limited spinning of the wheels I made it across. That was enough to get my hearth going for the rest of the trip which consisted of soft sand and mud pools, but nothing as bad as the second bridge. Third bridge camp was wild with no fences but clean ablutions newly built. Here we did self-drive trips and a boat trip on the delta. At night we were visited by hippo, hyena and one Elephant which decided to eat from the tree I had parked next to. We had put all our stuff in the tent and choose to sleep in the back of the bakkie,glad we did but still nervous when the elephant is standing at the back of your bakkie eating and we only centimeters away. We stayed two nights here which I suggest to all to give you some time to experience wild camping. On leaving we had spoken to other campers and the road via Xakanaxa seemed better or though 12km longer. We came across a lot of mud pools on this route with 80% having a small detour around the mud .This mud was low due to them having no rain for two weeks prior to our arrival. So best check with locals beforehand. The delta proved fun to have a 4x4 and made good use of it here all though would of like to have a second vehicle with us
source: 4x4community
kingshaka

Post by kingshaka » Thu May 26, 2011 11:42 am

Just got back so some info for those going.

From South Gate to 3rd Bridge - water at 1st and 2nd Bridges but no problems. Just walk them first. Kwhai River Crossing - only for the very brave and very well equipped. We were told not to even try get to North Gate via Hippo Pools. Visited the Khwai River from Mankwe - most roads flooded but you can get to the river through the community campsites. Access to Savute only on sand ridge road but swamp and channel fantastic to see with all the water. Chobe waterfront/ Ihaha - river right up to campsites. Water dropping slowly but all flood-plain roads inaccessible. Strange to see the Lechwe grazing with the Kudu and Impala.
source: 4x4community
kingshaka

Post by kingshaka » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Moremi access from South Gate via Xini Lagoon 1st. 2nd and 3rd Bridge okay. Water was already high and rising over time - mind the wash-outs along the bridges with vertical descents into an axle deep pit. The route via Hippo Pool - North Gate was closed in accordance to park officials too riski to cross the river closer to the gate. Same info for the Khwai river crossing SE of the Khwai village. We used the South Gate-Mankwe-Mababe route (100 kms detour)

Mababe muddy after previous day rain but passable.
The Mababe to savuti stretch via Sand Ridge road was a real challenge.
As it is scraped into the landscape by grader it's the lowest point and hence the deepest water way (see pictures)
We followed a open safari vehicle for about 10 kms until it became too adventurous, the cruiser tilted and rocked and went under in invisible pits so we decided to leave the track and bundu bash through the high grass (bonnet level) in general direction North. (Slow speed to avoid damage on potentially harmful pits invisible because of the high grass.
Joined the track 20 kms further on on solid ground again.

Chobe:
Waterfront drives all under water and closed. Quite a disappointment for the game viewing. The water levels are so high that the camp sites at Ihaha are now on a beach of an enormous lake fed directly from the flooded Caprivi. Water up to the fire places.

FamilyHaas

Post by FamilyHaas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Dear all

We are a family and going to travel first time alone for 4 weeks from Windhoek –Kaokovelt-Etosha-Kasane-Moremi-Maun-CKGR and back to Windhoek with a fully equipped Toyota Hilux Safari Diesel.
The camping places in the parks are booked and confirmed. Although, we have read different travel guides, we like to get the newest information about the track condition in the Moremi , CKGR and whether we can pay the park fees for Chobe, Moremi and CKGR still in Kasane .
Planned route (Tracks4africa map on Garmin):
26. Jul 11 Linyanti Public Campsite
27. Jul 11 Savute Public Campsite
28. Jul 11 Xakanaxa Campsite
29. Jul 11 Third Bridge Campsite
30. Jul 11 Maun
31. Jul 11 Central Kalahari Sunday Pan
01. Aug 11 Central Kalahari Pipers Pan
02. Aug 11 Ghanzi
03. Aug 11 Windhoek
Another question is whether it is allowed to drive via Satau to Linyanti according the T4A (restricted) map?
And where on tour can we get the latest information about the road from Savute to Xakanaxa via Khwai?
There is another hart part from Pipers Pan to Xade and then to Ghanzi. Do you know how bad the tracks by end of July can be there?
Thanks a lot for your advice.
Ruedi, Jeannette, Tamara and Chantal
come-along.nl

Post by come-along.nl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:45 am

Dear Ruedi, Jeannette, Tamara and Chantal,

You'll be in for a great adventure! I still cherish my first visit to Botswana's Wild places back in 1998! Jaw dropping and an all exciting experience :o

- You are not allowed to drive the tracks Satau to Linyanti. Permit is required. This is a concession area...
- Latest information about track conditions from Savuti to Xakanaxa (via Khwai) I get can be found right here on selfdrive4x4.com! At the moment you have to make a Detour via South Gate...
- The tracks from Piper Pan to Xade and then onto Ghanzi won't cause problems other then the usual: Rugged and sometimes overgrown sandtracks. You'll be fine! Don't expect much traffic here...

Cheers, Hans
Bushbaby

Post by Bushbaby » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:08 pm

Has anybody been to Ihaha very recently?
Have water levels dropped since Kingshakas visit?
We off there on 8 July and yes, if river road is closed it will be a great dissappointment for game viewing
come-along.nl

Post by come-along.nl » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:50 am

Latest info I've got from a customer:

- Brand new tarmac road from Kasane all the way up to Kachikau (93 km). Last 70 to Savuti the usual Sandtracks
- Savuti Campsite looks ok. River is flowing and elephants visit the campsite often. Wildlife not easily visible because of the lush vegetation. We saw Leopard and Wild Dogs though :o
- From Savuti to Khwai (North Gate) it's advisable to do the Detour via South Gate unless you want to do some deep watercrossings... It should however be better/easier mid/end July. Ask the Rangers!
- Khwai (Noth Gate) was great! Lot's of activity! Especially at night...
- Went from North Gate to Xakanaxa via South Gate
- Still quite wet around Xakanaxa but still a nice place to visit. We did a boot tour from there.
- Contruction work (new ablution block) is underway at Xakanaxa.

source: David Velghe