Hi :) Planning our Self-Drive trip to Botswana

Welcome to Selfdrive4x4! Join the forum, introduce yourself & be part of the self drive community, say hi to new members etc.
VickyV

Hi :) Planning our Self-Drive trip to Botswana

Post by VickyV » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi everyone

My name is Vicky and we are busy planning our self-drive 4x4 trip to Botswana for next year.
We need to finalize our route so we can book the campsites and we have a few questions I hope someone here can help us with?

We will be hiring a Toyota Land Cruiser from SelfDriveAdventures in Maun (95litre tank with a range of ±600km's per tank).

Our planned route so far:

Day 1: Maun - arrive, training + supplies (Fill up tank + 1 Jerry Can)
Night 1: Maun Rest Camp
Day2: Drive to Third Bridge, set up camp + drive around a bit
Night 2: Third Bridge Rest Camp
Day 3: Drive around
Night 3: Third Bridge Rest Camp
Day4: Drive around
Night 4: Third Bridge Rest Camp
Day 5: Drive around
Night 5: Third Bridge Rest Camp
Day 6: Drive back to Maun
Fill up (+ 4 Jerry Cans)
Stock up on supplies + Charge cameras & equipment, etc.
*******************************************************************************************
Drive to North Gate

Night 6: North Gate Rest Camp
Day 7: Drive around
Night 7: North Gate Rest Camp
Day 8: Drive to Savuti (via Mababe gate)
Set up camp - Drive around
Night 8: Savuti Rest Camp
Day 9: Drive around
Night 9: Savuti Rest Camp
Day 10: Drive around
Night 10: Savuti Rest Camp
Day 11: Drive around
Night 11: Savuti Rest Camp
Day 12: Drive back to Maun Rest Camp
Night 12: Maun Rest Camp
Day 13: Maun - bring back vehicle + go to airport

Maun Rest Camp: 2 nights
Third Bridge Rest Camp: 4 nights
North Gate Rest Camp: 2 nights
Savuti Rest Camp: 4 nights

Does this sound ok?
I'm a little worried about driving back from Savuti straight to Maun. Is it better to go through North Gate again, sleep over there one more night, and then come back to Maun?
Otherwise, what road do we take after Mababe Gate straight to Maun (not going through Moremi / North Gate)? How long is this road, what are the conditions and more or less how long will it take us to drive the whole distance from Savuti Camp Site to Maun Rest Camp going that way (not through North Gate after Mababe Gate)?

Another question: I have heard that the best time to go to Moremi area is July - September... but the best time to go to Savuti is October??? Is this true? If so... why?

What will be the best time for us to go then, August or September?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated ;)

Kind Regards
Vicky
Tongasabi

Re: Hi :) Planning our Self-Drive trip to Botswana

Post by Tongasabi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:39 am

Hi Vicky,

Welcome! Nice long Botswana self drive :-)

The route might be a bit long, maybe best is to take out a 3rd Bridge night and ad a night in North Gate on the way back to Maun. Or at the Mogotho community campsite just outside the gate. After staying in 3rd Bridge driving back to Maun is a bit of an extra Journey, I suggest to make a good calculation on fuel capacity and range. Within the parks you will mostly drive at 15-25 km/h so game drive distance will be limited. I would take more fuel with me and charge all equipment en route using either the vehicle battery and a 12V socket or a 12V~220V inverter (easy to pack in you luggage).
Fresh veggies might become a problem but cabage, carrots, butternut etc can be kept fresh for many days. Most refrigerated vegies in Maun will not last for long as they have been imported from JNB and cooled to dead already!

Cheers
Marco
www.tongasabi.nl (safari reizen door Zuidelijk Afrika)
www.botswanareizen.nl (Botswana Reizen)