How to act with Wildlife in your Camp?

Anything you want to share & general discussion. Images, trip reports and all you want to tell to the rest of the world can be posted here...
kingshaka

How to act with Wildlife in your Camp?

Post by kingshaka » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:24 am

How do I act when wildlife enters my Campsite?

Three Males at Magotho campsite...

It depends what it is, and when. In all likelyhood you will only get large predators after dark. You won't get a leopard whilst there are people about, but lions or hyaenas are much more likely. If there are lone hyaenas about, lights, clapping and shouting will usually move them on. This won't work with a group of hyaenas. You NEVER do this with a lion! Go quietly and sit in your car, and take a photo if you can.

The most typical nuisances are baboons and vervet monkeys. You really do need your wits about you to deal with these. Some use a catapult, which does change their attitude..........I simply have a few stones to hand. The very act of standing up and taking aim with a stone is usually enough. You will very quickly learn to keep everything locked up, and even food on the table you are sitting at needs careful watching. The biggest danger regarding wildlife in camp is the camp fire. For some reason, everyone seems to be sucked into the trap of lighting a fire and drawing their chairs into a circle around it. This has the effect of focussing everyone's eyes inwards, and at the same time taking away their night vision, thus exposing unwatched backs to the darkness and whatever lurks in it.

If you are in an area likely to be visited by lions, hyaenas or elephants, you might consider sitting very close to your car with the doors open. Maybe position a table at right angles to the car, which makes anything walking around the corner take a slightly longer route, giving you time to get into the car and shut the doors. Most important of all, though, is to be generally vigilant. Have a powerful torch close to hand, and use it regularly............

As for "making a break for the truck".........remember that old expression....."in Africa, only food runs". Never run!

Source: Mike - 4x4community.co.za