buy a 4X4 in South Africa

Fully equipped ones ready for a new adventure or other 4x4's
Carl

buy a 4X4 in South Africa

Post by Carl » Sun May 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi everybody,

We already went on holiday to Southern Africa twice and really enjoyed it. Next year we're planning to travel a couple of months in southern and eastern africa.
Therefore we would like to buy a proper 4x4. We're from Belgium and on the internet we found an interesting Belgian registered fully equiped Landcruiser that is arriving in South Africa after a overland trip this autumn. Is it interesting for us to buy such a vehicle? I guess we can just register the vehicle in Belgium on our name and take the license plate with us. But what about car insurance and technical vehicle inspection (required in Belgium when sellng/buying a car)?

Or is it a better option to buy the car in South Africa itself? However, we've read that the procedure to buy a South african car is quite elaborate and south african landcruisers seem expensive.
Moreover, we will lose precious holiday time by looking for the right vehicle, executing the administration, equiping the vehicle,...

Overall, it seems to us that buying a belgian registered vehicle in financially more interesting. Has anyone got experience with that?
greetings

C&D
come-along.nl

Re: buy a 4X4 in South Africa

Post by come-along.nl » Sun May 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi Carl,

What about the 'Carnet de Passage' when you buy the Belgian licenced Land Cruiser? You could buy the vehicle and just keep it in the 'previous' owners name. Eventually you have to take the car back to Belgium to get your deposit back. Am I right?

When you decide to buy a RSA licenced 4x4 you can contact my friend Tom Gouws in Pretoria. he might be of some assistance.

Cheers, Hans
https://www.selfdrive4x4.com/en/
www.come-along-safari.com
Discover unspoiled Africa by 4x4, individual freedom and a true African adventure!
Carl

Post by Carl » Sun May 02, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi Hans,

You're right about that. Of course it's an option for us to drive the vehicle back to Belgium... However there's already so much to see and do in Southen Africa alone! Anyway, I will check with the owners how high the deposit was of the carnet.

We will also consider the option of buying a south african car and contact your friend.

Thanks!
Carl

Post by Carl » Sun May 02, 2010 2:05 pm

Forgot to ask: could you please give us his e-mail adress?

Thanks again!
Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Long time ago but if you're ever looking for a 4x4 in Africa take a look on the http://www.africa4x4cafe.com/htm/africa_4x4_cafe.htm

Plenty of SA plus a few UK and other foreign reg vehicles.

Go well,

enzo