Traveling Zimbabwe...

Hwange, Mana Pools & The Victoria Falls 'Smoke that Thunders' Mosi-oa-Tunya!
come-along.nl

Traveling Zimbabwe...

Post by come-along.nl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:57 pm

BY GILL STADEN, ETN | MAR 18, 2010

These days, many people are giving Zimbabwe a wide berth. They do this for a couple of reasons: firstly, "Is it safe?" and secondly, "Why put money into the Zimbabwe coffers?"

I travel around Zimbabwe from time to time, so I think I can answer those questions. It is safe, but it can be irritating. There are road blocks along all major routes. Generally the police are friendly, but they can be otherwise. When being otherwise, they are appeased with all the right documentation. Why put money into Zimbabwe coffers? Well, Zimbabwe is not just Robert Mugabe and his pals. Zimbabwe is a lot more than that. It is a country of friendly people and great places to see. I know that I cannot change what is going on in Zimbabwe; whether I go or not means nothing.

I recently traveled to Bulawayo and then on to Harare. Driving to Harare, I was alone, but I wasn’t worried. The infrastructure is slowly falling apart – a few potholes here and there, the traffic lights rarely work, the signboards are falling down. The police were generally pleasant until I got caught in one of their speed traps. At first one of the young policemen wanted me to go to the police station followed by a court appearance. Finally, though, he gave me a fine of US$20, and I was on my way again. It seems that Zimbabwe has money to buy speed traps - there were plenty of them - but somehow they can’t seem to feed their people.
https://www.selfdrive4x4.com/en/
www.come-along-safari.com
Discover unspoiled Africa by 4x4, individual freedom and a true African adventure!