Zimbabwe recent visit (o.a Hwange, Matapos & Vic Falls)

Hwange, Mana Pools & The Victoria Falls 'Smoke that Thunders' Mosi-oa-Tunya!
kingshaka

Zimbabwe recent visit (o.a Hwange, Matapos & Vic Falls)

Post by kingshaka » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:58 pm

source: overland-forum

Just back from Zim this week, having USD1 for the tolls is not too important as they have plenty change of very dirty bills from everyone who has passed before you. We found that it wa smore important to have USD1 notes in the national parks were there was always a shortage of change.

Our route was Plumtree > Matapos > Hwange > Vic Falls > Binga > Matusadona > Chinhoyi > Masivingo > Beit Bridge
I will write up a trip report in due course, in the meantime if anyone wants recent info fire away..

Some interesting info from the trip:
- fuel never a problem except in Vic falls were only the garage in the industrial area had fuel.
- petrol was between USD1,2 to 1,25. Can't remember Diesel
- No shortage of food in the shops and prices slightly more than SA but comparable.
- ablutions at all National parks clean but rundown. Everywhere was very quite while we were there (probably saw less than 10 SA registered 4x4 in entire trip) and I sadly I think as soon as they get lots of visitors the facilties will deteriate quickly due to lack of maintenance.
- Masuma River Lodge outside Binga has been renovated and is very nice, self catering and catered accomadtion pricey at R300 -R600 per person but camping ok at R100 per "site". We were their first campers.
- Rands widely accepted all around the country but better value with the USD as the ex rate being used currently is 10 to 1.
- If camping no need to book anywhere, we were often the only vehicle in the campsites. For Matusadona we were the first visitors to Tachinga in 30 days and only the 2nd group all year. The last 80km into Tachinga are very slow going and the grass very long therefore a seednet is a must. Tsetse fly are a real pain for part of this leg as well.
- after reading the "rattle to pieces" stories for the road from Binga to Matusadona turnoff I was pleasantly surprise although the road is rough due to all the dried up mudholes, you won't often get out of 2nd gear.
- Despite crossing Beit Bridge on Easter Monday it was fairly smooth sailing, didn't time ourselves but was under an hour for both sides.

Cheers,
Stuart

source: overland-forum